Thursday, November 29, 2007

Day 71 of 90: Trading Sorrows

My eighteen year work history is so far doing nothing for me here in the US. From a successful radio career to a challenging career shift into the call center industry, to my most recent season in the full time ministry with Every Nation Ministries in Manila, I am now unemployed. If not for my housekeeping stint in Tallahassee, I would have nothing.

And it's not for lack of applying. I've sent close to thirty applications so far and have been interviewed only four times. Interviewers tell me they are very impressed by me - articulate, intelligent, warm, friendly. But I still don't have a job. I have been deemed either overqualified or unqualified due to lack of blue collar experience.

I just got off the phone with someone who interviewed me for a position with a non-denominational church-planting organization that I really wanted to be a part of. She graciously, kindly, gently informed me that I did not get the job. As my heart sank during our conversation, I listened thoughtfully to her words.

"There were three amazing candidates...", "...nothing you could have done differently...", "You were highly recommended and were given glowing recommendations...", "... liked you very much and appreciate getting to meet you...", "prayerfully considered you and reached the decision to go with someone else...", "...keep you on file so we can reach you if another position comes along...", "I'm so sorry to have to ruin your day."

I kept my chin up and smiled as I thanked her, hiding the disappointment and sadness from my voice, and sobbed deeply after I hung up.

Job's words came to mind, "Though He slay me I will yet praise Him!"

I called to mind the many miracles God has given me in this journey of ours to the US and I'm encouraged that He is still God. And that His love for me has not changed.

It's only a matter of time before the best job comes along.

Is it housekeeping at the mall? Or selling mouse ear caps at Disney World? Or Universal Studios souvenirs?

Or is it behind a desk... of a bank? Or a reception area?

Only He knows. For me, it's back to scouring the job openings. And praising and worshiping Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength.

No comments: