Monday, September 29, 2008

On the Economy Through Third World Eyes

While it is supposedly no longer politically correct to use the terms First World or Third World as these are now known as Developed and Developing respectively, I figured Third World sounds better as a blog title. I write it with pride, having lived in such a country for twenty seven years.

Over lunch at work recently, a colleague and I glanced at the cafeteria TV tuned into CNN when news of an economic bail out plan was announced. I couldn't help but comment that until one has experienced living without anything, can one find the right perspective through all of this.

"I come from a country where people live at dumpsites and make a living sifting through trash. This is nothing."

He looked at me in as much agreement he could muster.

"I guess it's all a matter of perspective," I continued.

He smiled. "I guess you're right."

I wonder what will happen in the next six months. If anything, K and I have lived through a season of homelessness and noodles and hotdogs before. I guess if we have to go through this again, we can always say we've had practice.

No comments: