Thursday, April 5, 2007

Lenten Season in Manila

It's been hot in the Philippines as summer rolls in lazily, casting a spell on all in its path. We. Are. Hot-headed. Literally. No fists flying or wounding words, just good old fashioned hot all around.

Thank God it rained a bit this morning. We've cooled off somewhat but the downside is that it's more humid.

As is the tradition in this predominantly Catholic nation, we are on HOLIDAY for Maundy Thursday (today) and Good Friday (tomorrow), and even Monday, because it will be Araw ng Kagitingan (Day of Valor). Loooong break. Many are off at the beach, others are enjoying the traffic free streets of Manila sans its usual volume of cars and public transportation, and others, like us, are holed up at home doing absolutely nothing. Almost. I am after all blogging.

Random things are popping in my mind. I will be heading to the embassy next week and next week too is when my pastor friend P and I will be talking via the internet. Hawaii's chances are moving up the scale but I'm not casting my vote just yet. I have Florida and possibly New York on the list so I don't want to say anything for now. Simply because I can't. I just don't know yet, is more accurate.

I'm about to turn on the A/C and finish three books - Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen, Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend, and On Writing Well by William Zinsser - that have been waiting for me. In the middle of all of this, I am doing the most important thing I can do when faced with a crucial decision - I'm fasting. WE are fasting. Me from food and K from the internet. *wink wink* (Thus, I am online today and she is not.)

Fasting is not torture. It is a spiritual discipline. I just happen to be doing this now during the Lenten season for three reasons - I have no work so I am more able to focus on the Word (both reading and hearing); I need all the wisdom and favor I can get for the coming weeks as I decide on where to move us; I love God and simply want to spend uninterrupted time with Him.

My cup overflows.

His greatness is beyond our understanding.

His banner over me is love.

Easter is three days away. What better time for me to recall how loved I am. That no matter what is in store for us, my Jesus already knows.

song playing on my ipod: lord of all by jose villanueva

No comments: