Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Best Part About Turning 40

I know women aren't supposed to reveal their age but my philosophy is that since I've been told I don't look it, there's no harm in telling the truth. Besides, age is another double standard women can do without living up to. If men can proudly announce how old they are, women should too.

So there. I'm forty.

It's easier typed, than said. Believe me. I was depressed for five minutes, thinking that being a single parent with a daughter almost out of the house and on to her own life, was the end of the journey for me. That and still having unchecked life goals.

Such as:
  • Go back to theater. Even in a tiny role. Or as a production assistant! Or at the Front of House!


Me with orange hair and purple bangs as 5B in Repertory Philippines' Murder for Rent
  • Learn how to play the drums.
  • Run in a 5K.
  • Live in New York.
  • Live in San Francisco.
  • Go home to Portland.
  • Go to London for the 2012 Olympics.
  • Work in radio. Again.
  • Do voiceovers. Again.
  • Write a book.
  • Go back to school.
I shook off the doom and gloom with the thought that the best part is enjoying seeing K turn into an adult. A good citizen. A good woman. A beautiful, talented, smart, funny, creative, artistic, human being who knows her way around a new city all by herself.

Someday, grandchildren.

Yes, here at possibly the halfway mark of my life -- give or take five to ten years -- there is so much to look forward to; checking off these unchecked goals and then some!

But if this is as good as it's going to get, I have much to be thankful for.

I have a big God who will keep taking care of me and my daughter.

No comments: