Friday, September 21, 2007

Day 3: Thelma Gets a Laptop and More Family

Still no room to rent but I am trusting that my search will be successful. The place I was eyeing was a townhouse with two rooms. Gorgeous! But the owner had to leave on business and won't be back til the 1st of October. So for now, I have to write "Pending" next to it on my list.

In the meantime, I did find a place near the Metro (train to DC) that's owned by a Filipina! I'm hoping she'll agree to my price and terms. In my search through Craig's List for a place, I've learned that rooming in here is a mixture of gender-specific, co-ed, or gay choices. I've made several inquiries on rooms and a few have returned from men asking for me to call in response to my e-mail. Hmmm. Not an option.

This morning, just when I was on the verge of feeling overwhelmed with missing Kyera, coupled with the frustration of a fruitless room search, I was given a laptop. An office-issued laptop. Apparently the church I'll be working for is not as fanatic for Macs as my Philippine pastors are, so I was given an Acer Aspire with Vista.


My much-desired MacBook Pro will have to wait. I have decided to live financially wise for the next two years and save my money. Besides, this baby I'm typin' on does the trick pretty good. And at least I didn't have to pay for it! I am, however, willing to shell out cash for a more fashionable laptop bag. One that doesn't say - plain and sturdy - but - hip and cool!

The highlight of my day was dinner at the Joneses home in Ashburn. Pastor Donnell picked me up from Pastor V's house in Alexandria and we spent the drive to his house with me talking about how I met God in 1991 and came to Victory Christian Fellowship in 1993. (I'll share this story some other time.)

When we pulled up into their driveway, I got to meet his daughters - Gabriella, Mariah, and Macaiah. (I met Serena later.) They couldn't believe I had an almost eighteen year-old.

"Daddy she has an eighteen year-old?! She looks like she's the one who's eighteen!"

I laughed and thought about how Kyera would react to that. Later on as I got to visit with Maryann, Pastor Don's wife, I cried for the first time when I talked about Kyera. I didn't realize how much I miss her as I've been so focused and single-minded in achieving my goals of establishing myself.

Maryann understood. Sometimes, that's all we need. I'm spending the night here and I feel like I have found family.


Good night from me at the Jones' residence.

No comments: